Life + Culture
Dress Code F/W ’13: Leather
Hello loves, this next major fall/winter 2013 trend can be summed up in one word…leather. I’m sure this comes as no surprise to all of you (my very fashionable readers) as this trend has been going strong for well over a year now. Leather is certainly nothing new when it comes to winter clothing but this time around I think it is safe to say that leather is the new denim! Let’s take a look at how to incorporate leather into your wardrobe with these specific leather staple pieces …
- Motorcycle Jacket – Right now you’re probably thinking “tell me something I didn’t know”…and yes leather coats are hardly anything new. However, the current leather outerwear is NOTHING like your parents’ boxy options. There are two styles of leather jackets that every woman should own with no exceptions: motorcycle and blazer. The motorcycle jacket is an iconic symbol for all things “rebel”, “hip”, and “young” but it is also a very functional and surprisingly versatile piece. Perfect with your favorite pair of jeans for daytime casual, yet can also add an unexpected edge to a feminine dress with heels and a scarf for an effortless date night ensemble. The important thing is finding a motorcycle jacket that fits you properly with luxe detail such as gold hardware or quilted pattern.
- Blazer – This is my go to option for adding a fresh spin to my work clothing. However, I have to stress the importance of looking for feminine shape! Nothing screams 80’s working woman like a manly, stiff blazer. Instead yours should curve inward at the waist to accentuate your figure and easily compliment your favorite pencil skirt or trousers. Not fond of the idea of an entire leather blazer? Try opting for one with leather detailing such as leather sleeves or lapels!
- Pants – Of all the current leather trends this has to be my absolute favorite! What I love about leather pants are their functionality (perfect option in 40 degree weather) and their versatility. Leather pants can be dressed up for date night with an oversize sweater or silk blouse, or dressed down for a casual look with Timberland boots and a lumberjack shirt with your favorite knit hat. The possibilities are endless when you realize you can style them the same way you style your jeans. Which styles should you look for when shopping? Right now leather skinnies and harem style pants are the most current trends for any fashionista!
- Skirts – Last fall the leather pencil skirt made its fabulous debut (again) on every major runway. This season is no exception as leather skirts are becoming more acceptable for the office and the choir stand. This season look for more options as we see suede pencil skirts and even a few patent leather options from brands like ASOS. Also making a debut are pleated leather skirts from DKNY and H&M. To add variety to your look opt for a skirt in a wine or hunter green color.
- Boots – Nothing says fall like a pair of leather boots. Functional, fashionable, stylish, and sexy these winter staples are probably already in your closet. One of the top styles this season are classic flat riding boots. This season we’re seeing them updated with quilted leather patterns and a more sleek, slim cut. Also look for the return of the classic stiletto over the knee boot. I know some of you may be thinking “Do I really wanna look like a working girl in these risque boots?” While this style is not for everyone, it can most definitely be done tastefully! The key is to balance this statement shoe by downplaying the rest of your outfit; allow these show stoppers to take center stage!